This summer is all about getting my mind and body healthy! Since my last trip to Colorado in March, I’ve had a growing infatuation with natural products. Rarely do we think about how certain products we use on our body absorb into our skin. Although they may smell good, like peonies or Japanese cherry blossoms, we don’t think about the chemicals used and how they can affect us. I’ve switched many of my facial products, body lotions, body scrubs, and even toothpaste to natural brands that are more safe and gentle on my skin.
Today I decided to share with you an easy way to make your own natural lip chap!
Take a trip to your local natural grocery store and pick up:
– beeswax (1 tablespoon)
– coconut oil (2 tablespoons)
– vitamin e oil (10 drops)
– chapstick tubes
– essential oil of your choice (15-20 drops, depending on how strong you prefer)
1. On medium heat, mix together and melt the beeswax and coconut oil in a double boiler, you can make a double boiler by placing a glass bowl into a saucepan (make sure the glass bowl is slightly larger than the saucepan so that the bottom does not touch the water)
2. Once melted turn off the stove and mix in your drops of vitamin e oil and essential oil
3. Pour into your chapstick tubes and let it sit, after about 3 minutes it will begin to harden
– Lay down parchment paper over your work space so if you spill wax on the counter you don’t have to struggle wiping it up
– As soon as you finish pouring your chapstick into the containers, wipe off the bowl and spoon with paper towels immediately and do not let any wax go down the drain when washing your materials (it could clog it)
That’s all! Three easy steps to creating your own natural chapstick and it takes less than 15 minutes to do.